Suzuki Live Series - 2006 Grand Vitara "Blizzard" Concept
American Suzuki has made four show cars out of product currently on the market, and they've been displaying them at various auto shows around the country. They are the Grand Vitara "Blizzard", Grand Vitara "Dune", Grand Vitara "Wave" and Forenza "Sea."
Suzuki didn't play around, either: the four "Suzuki Live Series" concepts are pretty damned cool. Here, we discuss the "Blizzard" ski vehicle concept.
Grand Vitara "Blizzard" Concept
The Blizzard concept is based on the new-for-2006 Grand Vitara, and presents Suzuki's idea of what the ideal skier's vehicle could look like. I don't ski, so I don't care about that part. I do, however, care about the supremely cool bodywork the Blizzard is sporting. The bulging fenders, the beautifully integrated front spoiler, and the new, vented hood all look fantastic, as do the big wheels and tires. The body-color snowboard cases on the roof are pretty sweet, too, if that's your thing.
Moving around to the back of the truck, we find a changing seat in the cargo area, which is supposed to provide the passengers with a convenient place to get in and out of their ski togs. There are even a pair of cupholders in the tailgate to hold your expensive designer lattes.
Inside, you've got an internet terminal, boomin' system and TVs in the headrests for the rear-seat passengers. For security, there's a camera mounted to one of the roof pods so that you can keep watch over the stuff you've got stored up there.
The best feature, however, is under the hood, where the Suzuki people twin-turbocharged the Grand Vitara's 2.7L V6. A big fat intercooler sits behind the opening in the front spoiler. All the new plumbing boosts power to 357 horses and 344 lb-ft of torque. The suspension is programmable, with three different ride height settings (one for highway cruising, one for around-town driving, and one for off-roading).
Here's my suggestion:
Bag all the skier stuff, keep the body mods, turbos, and trick suspension, and put this thing on the market so the performance-minded can go Impreza hunting.
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara “Blizzard” Concept
(Courtesy of American Suzuki)
(Courtesy of American Suzuki)
- Type: 2.7-liter, six-cylinder, 24-valve DOHC, twin turbo, intercooled
- Materials: Aluminum cylinder block/aluminum cylinder head
- Horsepower: 357 @ 6,000 RPM
- Torque: 344 @ 4,500 RPM
- Fuel system: Electronic multi-port fuel injection, variable induction system (VIS) with in-tank fuel pump
- Full-time four-mode four-wheel drive – transfer case with locking differential and low range. The operating modes are:
- 4H mode
- 4H locking mode
- 4L Lock mode (differential is always locked in 4L)
- Neutral mode for flat towing behind RV.
- Front and Rear: Programmable ride-height adjustable suspension with three automatic settings:
- “395” (high speed cruising)
- “Mammoth” (local driving)
- “Backcountry” (4WD/off-road)
- All four corners have coil springs, gas shocks and fully independent suspension
Photos courtesy of American Suzuki.